Info for Students
If you are enrolled in a course that meets in the NCAT, the doors will automatically unlock at class time.
Anyone with a valid SLU ID card is welcome in the NCAT during open hours; you do not need to be enrolled in a course that is making use of the NCAT.
All other hours are reserved. Please plan accordingly.
The NCAT student staff maintain a HelpDesk in 003 during open hours. Because of the wide variety of activities and software supported, the person or persons on duty at any given time may or may not be able to assist you with highly specialized work. (You can find out which student employees have the needed expertise and when they work here.) Professional staff can provide assistance on a limited basis and by appointment only.
The NCAT is located in the Noble Center. [view campus map]
The NCAT student blog is an additional resource for questions regarding hardware/software.
The NCAT lab (NC 003) is the only NCAT space available for student use on a walk-in basis (see above for open hours). A list of applications and specialized hardware is available here.
Headphones may be checked out from the NCAT HelpDesk in NC 003 during open hours. The NCAT student employee will hold your SLU ID card as collateral. Please do not take headphones out of the NCAT. We cannot supply headphones for classes; each student is responsible for bringing his or her own headphones to class meetings.
The NCAT has consumer-level camcorders, still cameras, and audio recorders that students may check out for use on course projects. Professional-level equipment is not available for loan. The NCAT does not have a recording studio.
Inventory is limited, and priority is given to those students currently enrolled in NCAT courses.
These items are available for loan:
- Canon Vixia MFM30A flash memory camcorders with SDHC memory card slot [instruction manual]
- Canon Vixia HF20A flash memory camcorders with SDHC memory card slot [instruction manual]
- Sony HandyCam DCR-HC46 MiniDV* camcorders (w/ tripods) [instruction manual]
- Sony Cybershot DSC-W100 8.1Mpx still cameras (w/ tripods) [instruction manual]
- Zoom H4 digital audio recorder [instruction manual]
- Zoom H2 digital audio recorders [instruction manual]
- Zoom H2N digital audio recorders [instruction manual]
* Users must supply their own MiniDV tapes for the SONY camcorders
Black-and-white 8.5″ x 11″ printing is charged against individual user quotas. We also offer color inkjet/laser and wide-format printing to departments only; a budget code must be provided at the time of printing. All others needing wide-format or color prints should contact ODY library, the GIS lab in Launders Science Library or Office Services in Vilas Hall. Note: we stock different papers and have different pricing than other printing locations on campus.
|Size||Coated White Paper||High Gloss Film||Hahnemühle Matte Fine Art Paper|
|36 in x y ft||$12 x y|
|42 in x y ft||$3 x y||$6 x y|
|Ink only*||$2 x y||$2 x y||$3 x y|
*User supplies paper
Color Laser Pricing (printed on HP Color Laserjet 2605):
|Size||Bright White Paper||Acid-free Premium Paper|
|8.5 x 11 in||$1||$2|
|8.5 x 14 in||$1.25|
Images submitted for printing can be prepared in PhotoShop, which is available on all NCAT workstations.
- Scale to print size (NOTE: wide-format prints smaller than the paper sizes above are no problem; but charges are based on the amount of paper used, regardless of image size)
- Resolution: 300ppi
- Image mode: CMYK
- Export as .tiff with no image compression or save as .psd
Images created in InDesign or Illustrator can be printed directly from those applications.
When image or images are ready to print, contact the NCAT staff to make an appointment. When image quality is uncertain, arrange for a test print on lower-quality paper.
Large prints can take as long as two hours to spool and print. Last-minute requests cannot always be accommodated, so plan ahead!